Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chris Wondolowski: What he means to me


Who is Chris Wondolowski? He is our hero, our hometown legend, the guy who we want to be. I say this because Chris Wondolowski grew up in my town, Danville, CA. He played in our youth soccer league and even played on the same fields that myself as well as my peers played on.


Now he's the MLS Golden Boot Winner with 18 goals for the San Jose Earthquakes during the regular season. And he's poised to get a call up from Bob Bradley for the US National Team. Which would mean everything to the soccer fans here in the East Bay. Danville has produced some great athletes like Randy Winn and Mark Madsen. However, a guy from Danville playing in the great land that is known as International Football would in my opinion double the accomplishments of Winn and Mad Dog. No disrespect to them, but around the world getting one cap for the national team is like being named President for a day. And right now, that value is starting to be reached with the way MLS players are fighting to break into that very narrow striker pool.


So looking at this in the big picture, this is definitely good for the prosperity of our national team. Over the past few years, caps for our national team have been handed out a bit liberally. This has made the value of earning a cap lessen. However, players like Wondo and even Edson Buddle have proven you can play well in MLS and and push for a call up for the national team. In England, getting your first cap for the Three Lions is like your wedding day the players have pictures of the occasion all over their houses. Imagine one day where Americans value earning caps at the level the English do.


Now back to Wondo, tomorrow I will be going to the first leg of the New York Red Bulls vs San Jose Earthquakes series. And if my Quakes are to have any success in these playoffs I know Wondo must have a large hand in it. That's what Wondo has meant to the Quakes. Which is why Wondo should win the MVP of the league as well. Wondo means a lot more to his team compared to Edson Buddle.


I hope Wondo can continue the success he has had this season for the next few years. We have seen what can change from season to season. Like Robbie Findley, who tore up the league last season, has struggled mightily this season. That's the difference from a one hit wonder and a great American goal scorer. And that issue was brought up by Brian McBride last night on ESPN. Most people are doubting Wondo and think that he will never be at this level again. Well Wondo has been proving people wrong time and time again and there's no reason he can't do it again.


Wondo went to my high school's rival school, De La Salle High School. A school mostly known for their amazing football team that had a 151 game winning streak and produced the likes of Maurice Jones-Drew, Amani Toomer, and DJ Williams. I have told my friends, that Wondo is the first Spartan I have ever rooted for. It also helps when he's playing for your local MLS team as well.


So basically, I had to ramble about Wondo. I had to publish what he means to me, he gives us a sense of pride when saying you're from Danville. And to Bob Bradley: CALL HIM UP!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment